Saturday, September 4, 2010

Why are you boasting?

What do you possess that you have not received?

One of the common expressions used today which I find most annoying is, "It's all good", a sentence that is patently not true.Some things are evil, some actions sin, and some things the results of sin. When a child is killed by a drunk driver, that is the result of sin; it's not all good.
What St. Paul teaches us that what we could say that would be true is, "It's all gift." Everything we have is gift from God. We may look at something and say we earned it. We may look at technology and say we created it. But in truth there is nothing in my person, nor in the universe around me that is not gift from God.
Additionally, we received it not to be its owner, but to be its stewart. The one who created it remains the owner.
I have been blessed to travel the world, and I am happy to come home every time. When I was younger I would come home filled with pride, "This is the greatest country in the world." Now instead I come home with gratitude. "Thank you God for the gifts you have given us. May we always use them wisely."
- Fr. Wayne