Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Real St. Patrick’s Day

On any normal St. Patrick’s Day people all over the US, much more that in Ireland, would be throwing on something green and thinking about where they are going to eat, and drink, often way too much.  Little if any of it had anything to do with the saint. 

This year, as we are forced to abandon the gluttony, our best choice is to replace it with prayer and reflection. Time to sit down and actually read something about the life of St. Patrick.  And as we pray, include a prayer of St. Patrick.

Christ be with me, Christ within me

Christ behind me, Christ before me

Christ beside me, Christ to win me

Christ to comfort me and restore me.

Christ beneath me, Christ above me

Christ in quiet, Christ in danger

Christ in hearts of all that love me

Christ in mouth of friend or stranger.