Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Book worth reading

While I usually reserve this space for reflections on the scripture. I have just begun one of the funniest and most interesting books I have read in a long time, and those who know me know I read a lot of books.

Judeo-Christian anthropology has taught us for centuries about the interconnectedness of human beings. Now science seems to have caught up with what we have always known. David Brooks, best known for his political commentary has just published a book entitled The Social Animal. In it he is able to take what could be a huge amount of dry statistical data and recast it in a format that is both humorous and insightful. I would hope that the occasional coarse language can be forgiven.

Brooks lays out the surprising characteristics that cut across boundaries of language and culture and shows how from the moment we begin to form in our mother's womb we are relational beings. While I must admit that I am still in process of reading his book, I have read enough that I feel confident in recommending it to those who are looking for a deeper insight into the human person.