Monday, April 6, 2020

Allowing the week to be Holy

Today is Monday, the second day of Holy Week. But in what way will this week be different. 

Certainly, it will be different because of COVID-19, but how will it be Holy? 

Today’s first reading offers us a strangely serene image of leadership.

Here is my servant whom I uphold, my chosen one with whom I am pleased, Upon whom I have put my Spirit; he shall bring forth justice to the nations, Not crying out, not shouting, not making his voice heard in the street. A bruised reed he shall not break, and a smoldering wick he shall not quench, 

In the midst of pandemic where can we find such serenity? In prayer.

Not the pray of petition, telling God what we want, but the prayer of surrender, the prayer of Jesus in the Garden. 

Holiness comes from unity with the divine, and that unity comes from total abandonment, total surrender. On this Monday of Holy Week, can we surrender ourselves into the hands of our loving Father?