Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Being like a thermos

I know that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either cold or hot. So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.


There's the old joke about the guy who notices that the thermos keep cold stuff cold, and hot stuff hot, and wonders: How does it know?

Both yesterday's and today's readings call us to metanoia, change. Yet some would look at this reading and see in it a condemnation, of change, like those who derisively refer to it as waffling. [Personally, I like waffles.]

Once again our faith strikes a balance. We recognize that there is such a thing as truth. In this life will we ever know all truth? No. Over time our understanding changes, and we must change when new information is available. On the other hand when face with those things we do no to be true we have to say yes or no. I believe or I don't believe.

To take the stance that since I don't know everything I will not accept anything as true or false is an unviable position. As Catholics we simultaneously hold both Faith and Reason. We use both to arrive at the truth. I believe what science tells me about the universe and that God was ultimately the creator or it all.

We can know true and false. We can know right and wrong.