Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The question of Gideon

In today's first reading we hear:
The angel of the LORD appeared to him and said, “The LORD is with you, O champion!” Gideon said to him, “My Lord, if the LORD is with us, why has all this happened to us?

Which of us has not at some point asked this question? Bad things happen, sometimes really bad things, and we ask, where is God?

Gideon had it easy he got and angel and fire. We are not usually so lucky but then we don't have to go into battles like Gideon either. Our battles are smaller and so are God's signs. They tend to be more subtle.

Last week I was really wrestling with something, and turned on the TV just to unwind. The friend I was with and myself were completely taken aback when the program touched on the exact issue. It was as if one of the characters was talking right to me. Mere coincidence?

Or Friday night after 13 hrs on the train, my back was aching, I was hoping there would be a cab at the train station at that hour, and as I walked to the back of the car to get ready to exit, a couple I hadn't seen in ages was actually on the same train, and insisted on bringing me home. Again mere coincidence? They were certainly my angels that night.

God still works signs and wonders all around us. We simply have to have the eyes to see. All day every day, we must look at the world with eyes of faith.