Monday, October 21, 2013

Absolute Trust

In the first reading today we hear St. Paul remind us,

Abraham did not doubt God’s promise in unbelief; rather, he was empowered by faith and gave glory to God and was fully convinced that what God had promised he was also able to do.


Once more we are challenged not simply to believe that God exists, or that God loves us, but to believe that God has the power and will always do what it best for us, at every moment of every day. Even as I am writing this I know that God is a work in my life.

Are there things I wish God would do? Of course. Do I believe that it would be better if God would do them sooner rather than later? Of course. But ultimately I must let go and know with all my being that God only does good. God does not do evil.

If God does something or even allows something to be done to one of his children, it is because in the big picture that only God can see, it is for the best.

Remember that four chapters from now in the same letter St. Paul will tell us "All things work together..."

Abram trusted God enough to abandon everything he knew and follow God's will into the complete unknown. Today can we release all of our anxieties, and simply believe.