Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Divine Compassion

The opening of today's first reading from Romans often gave me trouble.

The Spirit comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes with inexpressible groanings.

Why groaning ? And then it dawned on me that if God is truly compassionate (literally suffers with), then of course the Spirit would groan or sigh with us.

Most important is a verse that gets closer to my core the older I get, the more of life I experience.

We know that all things work for good for those who love God,...(Rm 8:28)

If there is one verse worth memorizing this first part if this one verse is certainly it.

Notice that the verse begins, "We know", not we hope or believe.


Even in moments of adversity, we must know this in the deepest part of our being.