Thursday, September 4, 2014

Belonging-not what you think

Αφέντες απαντά 

Two simple words that mean they left behind absolutely everything. St. Luke tells us that this was the response of the first followers of Jesus. 

As I sit here I ponder the question, how can I possibly do this. In the early centuries there were those who literally abandoned everything and went out into the desert. Later what we call religious abandoned all through vows of poverty, charity, and obedience. But what about the rest of us?  What about those whose mission requires us to live in the world and use all the means at our disposal to spread the good news? What about all of you reading this who have families? How can we abandon absolutely everything and follow Jesus. 

The answer is found in the first reading. 

 all belong to you, and you to Christ, and Christ to God.

My things are mine. The Church teaches that all human beings have a right to private property. My car is mine. My phone is mine, etc. But I am not mine. I belong to Christ. I can throw away my phone. It is mine. I cannot throw away my life. It belongs to Christ who in turn belongs totally to the father and therefore always is obedient to the Father's will. 

Abandonment is not a call to walk away but to walk toward, to constantly, every step of every day, follow the one to whom we belong.