Monday, March 2, 2015

Concentration

Will we all necessarily experience the last judgment? The apparent answer is yes. But is there an out ? Today's gospel states unequivocally that there is.

Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned.

But can we do that? Can we train ourselves not to critique others?

My first response would be to say no. But then I remember the simple fact that we cannot be thinking about two things at the same time. Our human brain simply will not do that. It can flit around between things and often does, but it cannot simultaneously think about two things.

Therefore, when I am, even just in my mind, criticizing someone, what am I not attending to? If I am driving in the car and thinking about something at work, I am not paying attention to my driving. If someone is talking to me, and I a thinking about how stupid I think they are, I am not really listening to them.

The simple truth is that if we are attentive to whatever task is right in front of us, we won't be able to judge others. Next time you find yourself criticizing another in your mind, ask yourself what should I be focused on? I guarantee there is something else that deserves your attention. Turn your mind to the present moment and there will be no room for judgment.