Monday, May 9, 2016

A simple choice

In verse 33 of Jn 16 Jesus presents us with a simple choice. We can remain in him or in the world. If we are in him we have peace if we are in him we have thlpsis. It can be translated troubles, tribulation, oppression. It's root is the word for pressure. We all know the experience, life pressing down on us.

Don't misunderstand. Jesus is not promising that if we remain in him life's problems will go away. We will always have to face challenges in life. But if we remain in him we can face the challenges with a sense of peace. 

Perhaps that is the best way to measure whether or not I am remaining in him. If I am feeling all stressed out, perhaps that indicates that I have stepped out of him into the world. Maybe it's time for me to stop and pray. Take out my Bible and immerse myself in his word. Stop by a church and spend some time in silence before Christ present to us in the Blessed Sacrament. 

In the world or in him, where are you right now?