Monday, June 17, 2013

Patience

In today's gospel we have one of the most difficult passages from St Matthew. We all know it. But how do we live it?


When someone strikes you on your right cheek, turn the other one to him as well.

If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic, hand him your cloak as well.

Should anyone press you into service for one mile, go with him for two miles.

Give to the one who asks of you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow.


When attacked how do we simply suck it up, and let it wash over us like water off a ducks back? Actually it seems to boil down to three simple questions


Do I really believe in God?


Do I believe that God is truly just?


Do I really believe that all things work for good for those who love God?


If I believe these three things with all my heart, then I can not only endure but actually grow stronge.


It should be noted that this passage is not intended to be taken in a way that would deny the legitimate right to self-defense. Matthew is not telling the abuse victim to stand there and take it. This is an example ofma passage that can easily be taken our of the larger context of scripture, and misread.